2018 Alberta Winter Games Launches Volunteer Recruitment Campaign
(Fort McMurray, Alta – September 21, 2017) – The 2018 Wood Buffalo Alberta Winter Games is less-than five months away and the local Host Society is on the hunt for Wood Buffalo Region volunteers to join the team.
“Alberta Games volunteers make a significant difference in the lives of young athletes,” says Jeff Penney, 2018 Alberta Winter Games Host Society Board of Directors – Director of Volunteers. “They contribute time, skill and commitment to ensure that the Alberta Winter Games experience is optimal for the participants and spectators.”
Alberta Winter Games relies heavily on the support of a volunteer workforce to operate. Close to 2,000 volunteers will be needed to fill approximately 3,000 volunteer shifts from February 16 – 19, 2018.
“We are recruiting volunteer roles from Field of Play, Transportation, Food Centre, Accommodations, 50/50 Sales, Ticket Taking and much more,” Michelle Toner, 2018 Wood Buffalo Alberta Winter Games General Manager. “Your engagement in these Games will not only ensure that the young athletes ages 11-17 who travel to our community from across the Province have the experience of a lifetime, but that you too will have an experience you will not forget.”
What do I need to volunteer?
- You must be a minimum of 14 years of age to volunteer.
- You must be committed to fulfil 2 scheduled volunteer shifts.
- You must provide a clear vulnerable sector/criminal record check dated September 1, 2017 or later (this is available free of charge for Games Volunteers – a volunteer coordinator will provide you with the required documentation from the Games).
- You must wear the supplied uniform and accreditation, along with dark coloured bottoms (black, dark blue, or dark gray are recommended) when you are actively on a volunteer shift.
- You must adhere to the 2018 Wood Buffalo Alberta Winter Games Volunteer Code of Conduct and present yourself in a responsible and respectful manner.
- Please note, some volunteer roles may require a valid driver’s license, lifting, working outdoors, standing for extended periods of time.
More information on volunteer opportunities and the 2018 Wood Buffalo Alberta Winter Games can be found here: https://albertasport.ca/uploads/TimeRaiser-2017-2018-Wood-Buffalo-Alberta-Winter-Games.pdf
Potential volunteers can register online at www.AlbertaWinterGames.ca, and will have the ability to select their top two choices, which will be taken into consideration when assigning volunteer roles.